Did you know that recruiters and hiring managers spend approximately 7 seconds scanning a resume?
If you are a job-seeker, it’s crucial to maximize this short period of time and communicate your qualifications through a strong resume.
Make sure yours is ready to pass the initial screening using these critical tips!
Strategies to Build a Winning Resume!
Tailor Your Resume
- Gather job postings of interest and align your skills with the role’s responsibilities and requirements.
Differentiate Yourself From Others
- Catch recruiters’ and hiring managers’ attention with the top 1/3 of the page, so they are enticed to read through the remaining content.
- Create an eye-catching 2-3 line “Profile” summarizing your strengths and experience.
- List “Areas of Expertise” or “Core Competencies” using keywords from the job listing to communicate your skills relevant to the role and industry.
- Add contact information at the top of your resume, including LinkedIn profile URL and website.
Focus On Your Experience
- Begin each bullet point with a strong action verb and quantify your achievements to emphasize your success.
- Include relevant experience such as consulting, volunteering, and professional affiliations and/or credentials to strengthen your candidacy.
- List formal education as well as additional degrees and certifications earned to build credentials.
Avoid Common Mistakes
- Review your resume to prevent careless errors:
- Check for spelling errors, grammar mistakes, and inconsistent formatting.
- Keep your resume to 1-2 pages in length, depending on your experience level.
- Ensure your resume is results-oriented to be impactful.
Use these key tips to create a winning resume and land your dream job!
Arlene Newman, President of Career Bound Success and former President of NYC SHRM, specializes in Career Advancement, Transition & Outplacement.
Currently, she is Chair of the Professional Development Special Interests Group and is a member of the Leadership Council.